Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Barber School


Tim Hite.

He was my boss until we moved almost a year ago. 
He is there every single day, and he is turning 84 this year. 
His sweet wife is there almost just as much.
Beat that.

I had the opportunity to work at  The Barber School in Midvale, UT for a year and a half. I had originally applied to be the secretary for a few months until I had my baby, but they said I was over qualified (say goodbye to the easy job!) and they wanted me to help teach. I hadn't ever taught before, but I loved it. I got my own classroom with my own students. I was able to teach students how to cut hair, hands on with clients. I was able to teach students how to make their business succeed. I was able to teach students how to study and how to pronounce words like staphylococci and cysteine. I was able to teach students how to keep a conversation while performing a precision haircut. I was able to rub shoulders with a world renowned  tonsorial artist and learn new techniques and skills for myself along the way.

I ended up loving the people I worked for, and the goals that we were striving to achieve. I loved the energy of being in the barbering education system and seeing students celebrate as they passed test after test until they finally graduated as a barber. I loved it so much I didn't quit when little miss G came along as I had originally planned, I was able to work a few hours a week while she was tiny. 

I often find myself thinking about my time at the barber school and the things I learned and saw. The thing that has been going through my mind quite a bit lately (which inspired this post) is from Mr. Hite's wife, Lynell. She often said, "It will all work out, it always does." That's a piece of advice that I know will be in my mind for the rest of my life. To look towards the positive side of life and keep on keepin' on. I know it was no coincidence that I found the ad listing for a secretarial position and it turned out to be a barber school searching for an instructor. My time there was an opportunity of a lifetime, and I loved it all so much that I let it take a little piece of my heart and keep it forever. 

See The Blog   
See the E Barber School 

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 11, 2011

    Great article. I hope you are doing well. Online is just about ready. Are you interested in being an online instructor for the intro to Barbering course? Stay in touch.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...